Here’s the Schedule for the CCWC weekend of June 8-9, 2019.
Looking for more info on the panels themselves? Click here!
Signing Sessions are still being worked out, but we expect to have them up by Monday, 4/22.
Saturday, June 8, 2019
7:30 am: Registration Opens
8:00- 10:00: Breakfast. We will have a few tables designated with genres (Cozy, Historical, Procedural, …) so that you can, if you’d like, meet fellow writers and readers in your favorite genre. We will also have a Guppy Table all morning, along with a suggested meet-up time of 9 am.
9:45: Welcome speech.
10:00 – 10:45: First Session of Panels and Workshops
- Bringing the Past to Life
- Laughing at Death: Adding Humor to Mysteries
- Finish the Damn Book: Get Organized, Get Started, Get Words on the Page
- Private Eye Nancy Swaim interviewed by Ellen Byron
10:50 – 11:10: Signing Session 1
11:15 – 12:00: Second Session of Panels and Workshops
- Built to Last: Creating a Series
- Killer Dialogue
- PR 101
- Interrogation Tips with former LAPD Detective Ninette Toosbuy
12:00 – 1:30: Lunch and Keynote Speech: Tess Gerritsen
1:35 – 1:55: Signing Session 2
2:00 – 2:45: Third Session of Panels and Workshops: Hooray for Hollywood
- Drama Queens… and Kings: TV Crime Drama Writers
- Hallmark Mysteries
- Adapting Your Novel to the Screen
- You’ve Been Optioned! Now What?
3:00 – 4:15: Ask Me Anything
Our invited Hollywood guests and our editors and agents will take part in an Ask Me Anything session. You will have the chance to sit in small groups with three of our guests over the course of an hour and ask them questions. No pitching, but you can — and should — ask for advice as well as how their business really works.
4:15 – 4:30: Cookie Break!
4:30 – 5:15: Keynote Workshop: Catriona McPherson, “Deep In A Bowl of Porridge.”
Dinner on your own and an optional evening event TBA.
Sunday, June 9th, 2019
8:00 – 10:00: Breakfast. We will have a few tables designated with genres (Cozy, Historical, Procedural, …) so that you can, if you’d like, meet fellow writers and readers in your favorite genre. We will also have a Guppy Table all morning, along with a suggested meet-up time of 8 am.
9:00 – 9:45: Skills Labs
- Mark Coker (Smashwords)
- Dani Zacarias and Sam Pennington (Wattpad)
- John Burke (Pub Site)
10:00 – 10:45: Fourth Session of Panels and Workshops
- Cozies on the Edge: Meeting and Subverting Reader Expectations
- The Dark Side: Thrillers, Suspense, Noir
- Indie Publishing: New Frontiers
- The Serial Killer Next Door with James L’Etoile
10:50 – 11:10: Signing Session 3
11:15 – 12:00: Fifth Session of Panels and Workshops
- Winning Isn’t Everything (But it Helps)
- Thriller Workshop with Laurie Stevens
- A Winning Team: Writer, Agent, and Editor
- Medieval Weaponry with Swordmaster Roberta Brown
12:00 – 1:30: Lunch and Keynote Speech: Catriona McPherson
1:35 – 1:55: Signing Session 4
2:00 – 2:45: Sixth Session of Panels and Workshops
- Chapter One: Your Debut Novel
- Visual Storytelling from TV, Film and Video Game Writers
- Marketing Without a Budget
- Bethany Jones, The Inmate Whisperer
2:55 – 3:40: Seventh Session of Panels and Workshops
- The Art and Business of Short Stories
- How to Build a Long Career
- Editors and Agents Panel
- The Profiler: How to Recognize a Suicide Bomber
3:40 – 4:00: Cookie Break!
4:00 – 4:45: Keynote Workshop: Tess Gerritsen, “How to Find Your What-If.”
4:50 – 5:20: SinC/LA and MWA Presidents interview Tess and Catriona
5:20: Goodbye Send-off! See you in 2021!
Note: The Green Room will be open all day Saturday with books for your Goody Bag and on Sunday morning with one-on-one demos from the Skills Lab presenters.
Disclaimer: While we wish we controlled the Universe, alas, we don’t (yet). All guests and panelists are subject to change.